Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Sick Day Makeup Routine





Well, it's flu season. And if you're lucky enough to dodge the flu, chances are you'll still wake up with a cold, sore throat, or feeling under the weather in general. But unless you're about to keel over, you may want to look a little more put together and a little less sickly. Here's the simple, quick routine I used today (while feeling pretty icky) that I thought I'd share.

Step one: As with most routines, you need to really moisturize your face. I took a nice warm shower (great for aches that are associated with colds & flu) and washed my face. After I got out and dried off, I double moisturized. I used my Kate Somerville Oil Free moisturizer, then my Simple brand Replenishing Rich moisturizer. I focused on any extra dry areas and also concentrated on my under eye area. I then applied my Philosophy When Hope is Not Enough firming serum under/around my eyes to help firm and reduce the puffy eye syndrome that often accompanies being sick.

Next, I applied my Holika Holika Skin Clearing BB cream all over my face and used it as a light concealer under my eyes because it also has moisturizing effects. Then I applied my ELF Maximum Coverage Concealer on any spots that needed extra coverage. I set everything with ELF High Definition Powder for that soft focus effect.

Step three: Apply some color. If you're feverish and flushed, you probably shouldn't worry about makeup. But for me, I gave myself a natural flush of pink with the ELF studio blush in the color "pink passion". Then I used the ELF baked blush in Peachy Cheeky (read my review here) to give a little bit of a highlight.

I didn't do much with my eyes, but I wanted to look a little more awake, so I curled my lashes and applied a coat of Maybelline Mega Plush mascara in the color k501, which is a brown.

Final step: Lips! You're bound to be dehydrated, which means dry, cracked lips. It doesn't feel or look good, so I recommend exfoliating your lips (read tutorial). I exfoliated with the ELF lip exfoliator (review here), applied a lip balm, then a barely-pink gloss by Hard Candy (it's called glitter lip gloss, but I don't notice any glitter).

Done! You should look alive and awake!

Tips:

Use a liquid illuminator if you really look rough. It will give you a nice, healthy glow.

Try putting an under eye roller (I have one by ELF and one by Garnier) in your fridge to chill, then apply under your eyes. The coolness is soothing and really helps to de-puff. You can also apply one of those cooling gel eye masks that are usually kept in the fridge, or even go old school with cucumber slices.

If you're feeling sick, remember to drink lots of water and herbal teas and get some extra rest! Feel better!

Until next time! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment