Saturday, January 25, 2014

Nyx Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator review (with swatches!)




I recently purchased a few Nyx items to try out because I received some of the Jumbo Eye Pencils for Christmas and LOVE them, so I wanted to try more of their products. The nearest Ulta is about an hour away, and with the arctic conditions here as of late, I didn't want to drive that far. So I ordered online. The three things I was most excited to try were the  round lipstick in "Tea Rose", the eyeshadow trio in "Barefoot in the Sand", and the Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator. This is a review on the latter.

The Nyx Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator comes in 2 shades, "Sunbeam" and "Gleam". Sunbeam has a very light pink hue, while Gleam has a golden/peachy hue. I got this in Sunbeam because I feel it's best for my skin tone. Below are swatches of each.





Product claim (directly from the Nyx website):

Capture that sexy glow with our lightweight, multi-functional illuminator. Use as a foundation base or over cheekbones, décolletage, or cupids bow for that refreshing luminosity that'll have everyone talking.

The website description goes on to say the product is:

Lightweight multifunctional face moisturizer that provides a luminous glow. Enhances your complexion by adding a touch of shimmer illuminating your skin. Provides a glorious, luminous healthy glow instantly.

Let me start by saying, I think (and hope) that the word "moisturizer" in their description was a mistake. This is not, under any circumstances, a moisturizer. It's a liquid highlight. Now, with that said...

I've been using this product in place of my Benefit Girl Meets Pearl as my highlight, and it does do what a highlight should do. Note that I haven't used it all over my face, but I plan to mix a little with my foundation and report on the results in the near future. I've simply used it as you would normally use a highlight; on my cheek bones, brow bone, etc. It does a great job of illuminating, just as they claim. However, I wouldn't say "glow" is quite the word for it. This product is shimmery, more so than my usual Girl Meets Pearl (which has a much subtler shimmer). When I think of "glow", I think of a more satin finish, something not quite so sparkly. So, yes, it does a good job of highlighting/illuminating, but it does so with the use of a lot of shimmer. I'm still experimenting with application, so maybe the profound appearance of shimmer can be toned down a bit. I'll be sure to share all of my future findings.

The claims of enhancing your complexion and providing a healthy glow are kind of up in the air. I think whether or not this particular style of highlight is complimentary for a person's complexion depends on the individual and their skin. Mature skin, for example, might benefit from something more subtle than shimmer. But that may not always be the case. So this claim will sometimes hold true, and be completely incorrect other times. One thing that seems to be universal, though, is using a light hand with application. No one will benefit from excessive shimmer on their face.

I give this product:



Yes, at the present time, 3 1/2 stars. As I mentioned, I'm still experimenting, so I may raise this in the future. However, at this point, this is my opinion. The product does illuminate, as it claims. But my personal taste is a satin glow, not so much of a shimmer. My favorite place to use this is on the brow bone, but it just looks like too much shimmer when applied to my cheek bones. If you like this type of finish, then this is a good product. This is also a great dupe for for a high end product with the same finish! Find out which one (with swatches) in my next blog. :-) Also look for my visual guide to highlighting your face.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment