Friday, January 31, 2014

How to Highlight Your Face

Hey, everyone! Sorry it has been so slow on posts as of late, I've been trying to work out the kinks in my day time job schedule so I can focus more on my writing and coming YouTube channel, tutorials, etc. But I do have a good post for you tonight! Without further ado...

How to Highlight Your Face

The photo below has been marked to illustrate the areas of the face that are beneficial to highlight. These areas are naturally hit by light, so applying a highlight brings them out even more. High lighting overall also gives your face a beautiful glow. So, when done properly, you'll be show casing the more flattering areas of your face and achieving a radiant appearance.  Please note that I actually didn't use a highlight in this photo, it's just the best front-facing one I have at the moment.




Figure 1: Forehead. Apply a highlighting product to the lower center of your forehead. Think of where light would naturally hit.

Figure 2: Brow bone. If you're wearing eyeshadow, it's common to use a very light shade for a highlight here, but of course you can also use a product specifically for highlighting.

Figure 3: High cheekbone. This is a very flattering place to apply a highlight. I really like Benefit's Girl Meets Pearl for this area. Just highlight along the high part of your cheekbones, as illustrated.

Figure 4: Inner corner. One of my favorite areas to accentuate. If I don't apply a highlight anywhere else, I usually still apply it here. Doing so will brighten your eyes and make you appear more awake. I like to use the Nyx Jumbo Eye Pencil in "Milk".

Figure 5: Center Chin. Again, like the forehead, think of where light naturally his you as a guide to applying.

Figure 6: Cupid's bow. Helps to accentuate the lips.

Figure 7: Bridge of the nose. Again, apply where light naturally hits the bridge of your nose to bring forth and flatter.

Tips:

If you're new to highlighting, start with just a couple of features. I recommend the inner corner, the brow bone, and the cheek bones. These are the most flattering, in my opinion.

Experiment with products. There are all kinds of highlighting products out there, so play around til you find one you like. Something to consider is the finish; do you want a matte finish? Or do you like a little shimmer? Also, don't be afraid to test out products that aren't marketed as a highlight, but look like they could work as one. For example, a light white/cream colored eyeshadow could be a beautiful highlight!

Coming soon: My super simple guide to contouring!

No comments:

Post a Comment