Friday, January 17, 2014

How to: Prepare Your Face for Makeup




Hey, everyone! I hope you all are having a good Friday! The stress of my day job (and the unhealthy work environment, physically) is killing me; definitely time for a change. So I took the day off to relax, think about where I want to go from here, and tend to my sore throat and dehydration. I just got out of the shower, and of course, decided to play in some makeup. And I thought I'd share with you how I prep my face for putting on my makeup. It's pretty easy, but very effective for a smooth canvas for your work of art ;-)

First, exfoliate. Use a gentle exfoliator for everyday use, and something with a little more "oomph" for days that you really need a good scrub. I use an exfoliating face pad, which has two textures (one on each side). One is meant for a very light exfoliation, and the other is meant for a more thorough cleanse. I got a pack of three at my local Dollar Tree, so they're very affordable, but work great. Wet your face with warm water, then wet the scrubber, dab on a little of your favorite soap, and give your face a good wash. Wash off the soap (don't forget to wash off the scrubber too, and put it in a safe place to dry), and pat your face dry.

The second step is to moisturize. I mean, really really moisturize. I use Simple brand Replenishing Rich Moisturizer. I apply a thin layer to my face and gently rub it in. I wait a couple of minutes for it to absorb. Then I repeat. I do this up to 3 times, depending on how much moisture I need.

Next, apply an spf. My BB cream has spf 30, so I go ahead and apply a face primer first if I need a long-wearing face, or if I'm doing a really full coverage, then apply my BB. But if your moisturizer or makeup doesn't have a good spf (and spf 15 or less doesn't count in my opinion), take this step before your face primer. Trust me, your future face will thank you!

Finally, apply a good primer. My favorite high end variety is the Smashbox Photo Finish, and my favorite drugstore brand is Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro in 002.

You're done! Get on with the foundation, concealer, etc. If you want to protect your finished product (your final makeup look), use a setting spray. I use the Urban Decay Deslick and the ELF Mist and Set.

Ta-da!

And don't worry, I have two product reviews coming soon! One for the awesome face and body soap I've discovered and one for the NYC color matching foundation. Til then, have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment