Friday, November 29, 2013

Review: ELF Mineral Face Cleanser

By now, we're all familiar with ELF's makeup line. But ELF cosmetics has done some branching out, with products like the exfoliating lip scrub and mineral face wash. So are these non-makeup items hidden diamonds or duds? Here's my two cents.

ELF mineral face cleanser claims:

Indulge your skin in rich cleansing moisture for a noticeably brighter and smooth complexion. The water-activated, powder-based cleanser works to clean and exfoliate the skin for a beautiful, healthy glow. Infused with active minerals and skin nourishing ingredients aloe, green tea, jojoba, avocado, and vitamin E, this gentle and calming cleanser revitalizes skin for a younger looking feel (ELF website).

I had this product setting on my shelf for quite a while, but hadn't used it with any consistency. This past week, I decided to use it exclusively and see how I liked it. I must say, I'm quite surprised.

One of the first things you'll notice about the ELF mineral face cleanser is that it has odd packaging. It's a little on the cheap side, which used to be ELF's way of offering cheaper prices, but the cost of this cleanser is $8. What gives? Eight bucks is a little steep for a low-end drug store product. But maybe there's a reason?

Second, you'll notice that it's powder. Interesting, right? Unique. The ELF mineral face cleanser has a little flip top that reveals a shaker of sorts. Wet your face and hands, then tap out a little of the product in your hand. I find it's best to add a little more water to your hands and lather it up, then apply to your face. The fragrance is light and clean. It smells like a simple soap. With enough water, it lathers up nicely.

After using, my face feels clean but not dry, like some that leave it feeling stripped. After patting my face dry, I apply a moisturizer.

After some consistent use, I find that the ELF mineral face cleanser does leave my skin brighter and smooth. My skin started really looking nice after several uses. I'm not sure that this ELF cleanser provides moisture, but it isn't harsh, so it doesn't strip it away, either. And I can't say my skin was revitalized per se or that I looked/felt younger, but I definitely like the results and I seemed to have a healthy glow.

So, to sum things up:

Pros: Unique formula, gentle, clean scent, lathers well, leaves my skin looking nice.

Cons: Cheap packaging, a bit pricey, and a little lacking on added moisture.

My rating: 4 out of 5 stars. The price mark, the packaging, and my need for just a bit more moisture bumped this down, but overall, I really enjoy it and will continue to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment