Thursday, September 19, 2013

Oil Pulling: Healthy Mouth, Healthy Body!


Ok, guys, it's been forever, but I'm embarking on a new beauty/health adventure that I've been hearing about, so I thought I'd share the info.

I just recently heard of this, and it does seem a bit strange at first, but IT MAKES SENSE to me! I'm talking about oil pulling. What is oil pulling? It is an old, holistic alternative medicine practice, in which you swish oil in your mouth first thing upon waking up, which rids your body of harmful bacteria and germs. Here's the logic:

Our immune systems are always on and working hard to fight off germs and bacteria, even the ones in our mouths! Our mouths and sinuses are the primary gateways to our bodies, and we're constantly taking in germs and bacteria this way. While many of the bacteria are good and naturally present, there are millions of bacteria in our mouths, and not all of them are good. The number of harmful bacteria present in our mouths is at its peak when we first wake up, since we've been sleeping for 8 hours or so. Oil pulling is a method with which we get rid of all the bad stuff that has built up in our mouths, which not only helps with dental problems (it's a great way to keep healthy white teeth and healthy gums), but it also gives our immune system a bit of a break (since it won't be working to fight off the bad bacteria in your mouth), which allows it to focus on other things that need healing, thus repairing and maintaining our bodies more efficiently.

How does it work?

What happens when you mix oil with another oil? They combine. There are natural lipids in our mouths. And what are lipids? They're fats, or oils. When you swish oil in your mouth, it acts as a magnet for the lipids we already have, and combines with them, which results in also combing with all the icky bacteria. Then you spit it out, ridding your mouth of all the germs and bacteria, and thereby giving your immune system a boost/break.

How to oil pull:

Oil pulling needs to be done first thing when you wake. Don't eat or drink anything, because then you'll be swallowing all the bad stuff that oil pulling will get rid of (and you don't want to ingest all that nastiness). The best oils to use are sesame oil or coconut oil, as they taste the best. Coconut oil has the additional benefit of having antibacterial properties and is especially good for whitening. In a pinch, any oil will work.

Get a mouth full of oil (enough to comfortably swish), and start swishing. You need to swish for 20 minutes. Yes, twenty minutes. I know, I know, it seems like a long time. But the potential benefits are worth it! Swish while you pick out your outfit, cook your breakfast, walk the dog, take your shower, or do whatever your want. But keep swishing! After the 20 minutes, spit all of the oil out. Do not swallow any of the oil! I recommend spitting in the trash if the oil has any chance of solidifying (cause you don't wanna clog your drain), but if you're using an oil that won't, you can spit it down the sink. After you spit all the oil out, you have a couple options: rinse your mouth with warm water or salt water, then eat breakfast and follow with your usual dental routine (brushing, flossing, mouthwash). Or you can rinse and do your usual routine of brushing right after you oil pull, then eat breakfast. This part is up to you, but you do want to rinse or brush or something after spitting out the oil, to make sure you get it all out and get rid of any after taste.

Oil pulling can help with:

Overall dental health
Teeth whitening
Skin problems (like acne)
Digestive health
Joint pain/arthritis
Sinus infections
Detoxification
Hormonal imbalances
Immunity
And lots more!

I did my first session today using sesame oil, and will be doing it every day for the next week, then I'll report on how it's going. I've been fighting a sore throat for a couple days, and now I have a bit of a cough, so I'm hoping this will give me the boost I need to kick it for good! I'm also going in for a major surgery in a week, and I figure any help I can give my body is a positive thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment