Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How to: Apply Revlon Colorstay Foundation






In my last post, I reviewed and compared my two favorite foundations, one of which is Revlon's Colorstay foundation. I love this foundation for when I have a long day and/or need heavy coverage. When I first purchased it, however, I didn't like it at all. What made me change my mind? Trying it again with a different application technique. Believe it or not, different application processes can yield different results even with the same product.

When I bought Colorstay, my daily foundation was Revlon Photo Ready, which I applied using a Beauty Blender. I loved the Beauty Blender (still do) and thought it was the be-all end-all of applicators. It does a great job applying light to medium weight foundations, and heavy coverage foundations as long as they're easy to blend. I had been hearing a ton of positive feedback on Colorstay and decided to see what the hype was about. I applied it using my beloved BB sponge, and was totally let down. "This foundation sucks!" That was my basic response to Colorstay. I didn't understand why people were raving about it. The application was uneven and a bit off-looking in general, it didn't blend out well, and it didn't even my skin tone nor smoothly conceal any imperfections. I decided it was a lost cause, and went back to using Photo Ready, as well as trying out other drug store foundations. I don't remember how or why, but I decided to give Colorstay another try, this time using a flat-top cosmetic brush (I use ELF's "powder brush"). And that was when I discovered that Colorstay is, in fact, a great product, when applied correctly. I've perfected my method and thought I'd pass it along, in case anyone else has had this issue. Here's how I apply:

- This may seem obvious, but make sure you wash/exfoliate and moisturize your face prior to applying makeup.

- Primer. Yes, face primer makes a big difference. It smooths the skin and provides an even canvas, so to speak, for your foundation. Not to mention it extends the life of your makeup.

- Setting spray. Similar to primer, this will help your makeup stay put. I use Urban Decay's Deslick, which helps keep my makeup in place and reduce oil/shine. I spray the setting spray directly on my makeup brush and then apply my foundation. After all of my makeup is on, I use the spray again, spraying directly on my face and allowing to dry.

- Flat top or stippling brush. Choose a quality brush with dense bristles.

- Apply: pour a tiny amount of foundation on the back of your hand. Dab your brush in the foundation, and then apply to one section of the face. Do one section at a time (I divide into four; chin, left cheek, right cheek, and forehead), because this foundation sets very quickly and then it becomes difficult or impossible to blend. Using your brush, blend the foundation into your skin using firm, circular, buffing motions. Transition from one section of your face to the next, blending them together as you go.

- Set with powder. I use ELF's Translucent Matifying Powder.

This is how I get great results with Revlon Colorstay Foundation. I have no idea why applying it with the BB sponge fails so miserably, because the BB is great with my Photo Ready and other foundations I've used. I think, perhaps, it is because the Colorstay sets so quickly that the stippling method used when applying with a Beauty Blender is just ineffective, and you really just need a good brush to quickly blend the product rather than stipple.

Whether you use a primer or setting spray (although I really suggest you do), follow my method of applying with a brush and circular blending, and you'll get a better, more even and natural application.

No comments:

Post a Comment