Monday, May 6, 2013

Revlon Foundations: Color Stay vs. Photo Ready

Ok, so, this isn't so much of a battle between products, so much as it is a review and comparison for my two favorite foundations: Revlon Color Stay foundation, and Revlon Photo Ready foundation.

Let me start by saying that, thus far, Revlon is my favorite drugstore makeup brand. I feel like their quality is high and prices are reasonable. It's true that not all of their products are superb (not entirely happy with their Photo Ready translucent face powder), as with any brand. But most of their products are great, and this is especially true for their foundations.

Foundation, in my opinion, has the ability to help or hinder. It can make you, or it can break you. A good product, when used correctly, can do a range of things, from just evening out your skin tone a bit, to nearly erasing more significant skin issues, such as acne, rosacea, hyperpigmentation, etc. A bad product, however, (or one used with an inefficient application method), can make you look cakey, oily, settle into lines or pores, exaggerate dry areas, and tons of other unwanted effects. So choose a foundation that actually works for you. It takes some experimenting, as everyone is different, but having a quality foundation is really one of the most important fundamentals for makeup. You can have great mascara, smooth, flawless lip color, and a killer smoky eye, but if you have a poor foundation, it compromises your entire look.

Revlon Photo Ready and Color Stay are both great foundations, depending on your needs. And as we know, our skin can vary a bit, especially from season to season and other environmental factors. I have combination skin. My cheeks are normal, but I have an oily t-zone, which can sometimes get a little dry as well. When I stay on top of my facial care routine and drink enough water, my skin is fairly nice, and just needs a little evening out. If I've slipped up (slept in heavy makeup, had a lot of alcohol, not had enough water, etc), my skin definitely reflects that, and my t-zone will suffer break-outs. This also happens around that time of the month when my hormones get a little out of whack. Depending on the condition of my skin at any given time, I'll use an appropriate coverage foundation.

Revlon Color Stay: This is a great foundation for those times when you need heavy coverage, or if you need staying power like crazy (long party nights, for example). While it's not the heaviest foundation I've come across, it is really full coverage, and when applied correctly, the results are great. It also stays put for a loooong time, which is awesome. During times when my skin is suffering from more break-outs, this is my go-to product. It is a little tricky to apply, but that's a post for another time (and I WILL be writing a post on how to apply this product, because I went from hating it to loving it, all based on application method). The Color Stay foundation line also has different varieties for different skin types. I purchased the variety for combo/oily skin, but they have a formula for dry skin as well.

Pros:

  • Full coverage- If you need a lot of coverage, this is a great product. Covers blemishes, hyperpigmentation, broken vessels, essentially any skin flaw, plus evens out skin tone in general.
  • Long-lasting- This stuff is called Color Stay for a reason; it stays put!
  • Formulas for different skin types- I think all foundations should offer this (believe it or not, they don't) because makeup isn't "one size fits all". The more something is tailored to our needs, the better it should works for us. 
  • Matte finish- This doesn't contain reflecting pigments or finish with a dewy look. I actually like reflecting particles in certain products (Photo Ready, for example), and sometimes I like a dewy finish, but with an oily t-zone, staying matte is usually more of my goal.

Cons:

  • Difficult to apply- Unfortunately, this is the biggest flaw in the product, in my opinion. It's meant to stay in place, which is great, but that also means it's a little hard to blend. It also sets really quickly, which then makes it impossible to blend, and can result in an uneven/streaky application.
  • Settles/appears cakey after long wear- I have noticed that when I've worn this product for an extended period, it begins to separate or something on my face. It settles into pores and lines and becomes very visible. Perhaps it's oxidizing? I just know it looks terrible! But this is after a LONG wear time. It still has great staying power for a normal or extended day, around 8-10 hours. Then it starts to decline. But hey, we're not looking for miracles, right?
Another thing to note about this, while I don't consider it a con, per se, is that this product is difficult to remove, and to really get your face clean, you will need a makeup remover. I prefer makeup removing towelettes, but any variety that you like should work. I don't consider this to really be a con because it is meant to stay in place, so of course it's meant to be resistant to water and other elements.

Revlon Photo Ready: This foundation is light coverage, so if you just need a little evening out or a little coverage for minor skin issues, then this is a great option. The application is smooth, the product is easily blended, and it can be layered for a little additional coverage if you need it. The application of this foundation really is great, and it feels light on the skin, which I like. This is my go-to product when I don't need much coverage (a step up from tinted moisturizer). Especially great for care-free days and care-free looks, in my opinion. It does have tiny reflecting pigments, which I also really like. I do notice a difference in pictures when I'm wearing this foundation. Some people hate the reflecting pigments, and some people love it. I'm not sure why, but sometimes the shimmer in the product is too much on some people, while on others, it's great. As I mentioned before, sometimes finding the right foundation involves a bit of experimenting. Luckily, I think of this as a fun process, and even when I have products I love, I enjoy trying new ones.

Pros:

  • Easy application- This foundation can be applied with a cosmetic sponge, beauty blender, flat-top face or stippling brush, foundation brush, or even your fingers, in a pinch.
  • Smooth, even- Finished application is smooth and even, doesn't settle into lines or pores or appear cakey.
  • Light weight- This doesn't feel heavy on my skin, which is a nice change from full coverage foundations.
  • Light-reflecting pigments- This could be a pro or con, depending on the person. For me, it's a pro. I like the slight glow in appearance and the reflective effect does seem visible in photos.
Cons:

  • Shine prone- This could just be my particular skin reaction, but after a few hours, I've developed shine and need blotting papers or a touch up on powder.
  • Fading- while the coverage remains about the same, and the staying power is good (normal staying power for a foundation), after a few hours, I feel like the glowing finish has faded. Boo.

Yep, only two cons! Great all-around foundation, especially if you're looking for light weight coverage.

So there you have it, my opinion on two different, great Revlon foundations. Look for my upcoming article on applying Revlon's Color Stay foundation!

No comments:

Post a Comment