Saturday, November 30, 2013

Three Tips for a Better Complexion

Since the age of 12, I've struggled with skin problems. Primarily acne, blackheads, you know, the usual skin issues that plague us. But I also struggled with dry patches, dullness, and a general uneven tone. Here I am in my 20's, past what was supposed to be teenage skin dilemmas, and it has become very apparent that skin issues are not limited to our teenage bodies, but instead, we have to deal with the lifelong challenge of dealing with various skin problems at various times. We have a different range of hormones, stresses, and other factors throughout our lives which will affect our complexion in different ways. Unless you happen to be one of the very few and very fortunate with great skin. And if that's the case, count it as a blessing. Also know that I envy you, and go watch Face Off.

Over the last 7 months or so, my skin has greatly improved. This wasn't by chance or accident, but my efforts have been minimal and definitely worth it. I get tons of compliments from people on my complexion, which just blows my mind. Yes, I still have flaws and struggles, but I have so much more confidence now, with this new, better complexion. And I thought I'd share with everyone what I've learned and what I've been doing,  So maybe someone else can benefit too. So here are my 3 tips to a better complexion:

1.) Stop touching your face. This has been the most helpful for me. Your hands have all kinds of nastiness, and when you touch your face, you're spreading it. This can cause all kinds of bad stuff for your skin. Also, don't pick at acne, whiteheads, etc. I know it's hard, but don't do it. It also causes the spread of bacteria and can lead to more breakouts, but it can also lead to scarring, and you don't want that. At some point, I just decided to do everything in my power to avoid touching my face. And it has helped greatly.

2.) Use minimal amounts of beauty products. This includes soaps, lotions, toners, tonics, and all kinds of makeup. I had quite the epiphany with this one. The concoctions we put our faces, while some of them are meant to be cleansing and beneficial, are actually not natural things to have on our faces. This can lead to even more skin problems and frustrations. I have spent some time trying to get to know my skin and what works best for it, without piling on a million creams and cosmetics. A minimalist combination approach has been good for me. I still use scrubs, soaps, and makeup. But I listen to my skin. If it's a little dry, I'll use a gentle scrub to exfoliate, and then moisturize with something natural like jojoba oil. If it's a bit oily, I'll use a soap to gently cleanse and then, again, make sure to moisturize. Some days, I don't use a soap or scrub at all, and I use the oil cleansing method. This is a trial and error process, but it's very beneficial in the long run. As for makeup; I still love getting dolled up, but I pay more attention to what I use to cover my face. I now only use a quality BB cream, which provides plenty of coverage, moisture, spf, and tons of other good qualities, but doesn't cake into pores or lines like foundation tends to. I used to use a primer, foundation, and concealer, but I've discovered that it ends up making my skin look worse. So I keep things simple when it comes to the base of my makeup.

3.) Drink more water. Yep, the obvious one. You've probably heard this a million times, and there's a reason for that. It works. It helps flush toxins and keeps your skin hydrated, which makes for softer, more supple skin. It improves the dull and uneven tone, too, plus your entire body benefits from proper hydration.

There's a whole lot more that can influence your complexion, from diet to sleep to exercise. But these 3 things are so easy to implement and can make such an impact, it's a great place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment